Building the Next Engineers!
From Concept through Construction
New York, 2022
Building the Next Engineers is an exciting new New York-based learning activity to introduce young people to engineering and architecture through hands on designing and building of a real-life structure. The activity is split into two parts:
- Workshop (2 days) – High school students work in teams to develop concept design for a pavilion, and learn about engineering and architecture
- Construction (2 days) – Potential opportunity to assist in constructing the selected pavilion on the Hofstra campus!
The free workshops take place over two full days of a weekend from approximately 09:30am to 5pm at Hofstra University. The workshops are a mix of short talks from young professionals about architecture and engineering, and design workshop sessions where participants can put what they have learnt into action to design a pavilion that will be built on the Hofstra campus by the end of the summer.
Participating students will work in teams of 3-6 to design the pavilion working with a given set of model making and drawing materials. Each team will work with a university student and a young professional to create concept sketches and maquettes, showing fundamental engineering views of the pavilion and explaining how it could be built! During the afternoon of the second day of the workshop each team will present their design to a panel of friendly architects and engineers from academia and industry.
The winning student team members will each receive a small prize, but more importantly their design will be used as the basis for the real pavilion!
Concept Design Workshops!
Saturday April 30, 2022+Sunday May 01, 2022
We are looking for participants for the workshops! To join the free concept design workshops students should be:
- Interested in learning more about engineering, and the Architecture, Construction and Engineering (ACE) industry in general
- In grades 9-11 in a school in the Hempstead area/Nassau County/Suffolk County
- Committed to spending a weekend doing a new and fun free workshop!
If you are a teacher interested in signing up your students, or otherwise would like to hear more about the project, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The workshops are a fantastic opportunity for interested student participants to:
- to develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- to consider new careers and career paths
- to gain experiences for job and college applications
- to have a fun and creative weekend!
The workshops also provide an excellent opportunity for the organizing young professionals and college students to:
- teach others about the fundamentals of their studies and careers
- develop hands-on teaching, designing and construction skills
- meet other like-minded designers
- help the built environment industry become more representative
The concept design workshops, design process and construction/deconstruction is led by a four-person interdisciplinary core team of young professional architects and engineers.
This core team is supported by the students of the Hofstra University ASCE Student Chapter, and many other willing helpers.
Building the Next Engineers is an adaptation of the Next Generation Design design-build workshops that Scale Rule have successfully organized and executed in the United Kingdom since 2015.
Building the Next Engineers is only possible thanks to the financial support of the SEI Futures fund.
Additional time and logistical support has been provided by the excellent facilities and administration staff at Hofstra University, and the New York City offices of Schlaich Bergermann Partner and Grimshaw Architects.