Inspiring the next generation of designers, architects and engineers! (Illustration courtesy of The Visual Shop)
Architecture and engineering workshop + Pavilion construction
11th – 12th February 2017, at AKTII and Grimshaw’s Clerkenwell offices
Two days of short talks for GCSE students from young professionals about architecture, engineering, sustainability, construction and drawing, interspersed with facilitated design workshops helping the students apply what they learnt.
This year the students were set a brief to design for a pavilion for the grounds of St James’s Church gardens for this years Clerkenwell Design Week, asking the students to think about social interaction, and ways of encouraging it, in today’s technology obsessed and isolating world.
Utilising the skills they learnt during the weekend they produced conceptual sketches, plans, sections and a 3D physical model to explain their ideas. The culmination of the weekend saw the students present their ideas to a positive and constructive panel of judges!
The workshops provide an opportunity for students to…
- develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- consider new careers and tailor their A-levels to match
- gain experience for their personal statement
- have a fun and creative weekend!
… as well as providing an opportunity for design professionals to…
- teach the fundamentals of their careers
- develop hands-on teaching, designing and construction skills
- meet other like-minded designers
- ensure our industries become more diverse and representative
Next Generation Design follows on from the Future of Design project, completed in 2016.
More on the story here in our print publication
The selected pavilion design was used as the basis for the pavilion built by a small army of fantastic tutors and volunteers for Clerkenwell Design Week 2017.
Design development: + Rich
Legal stuff: Gary
The workshops were attended by year 10 and 11 students from the following local schools:
Lister Community School / City Academy Hackney / Central Foundation Boys School
Lilian Baylis Technology School / Globe Academy / Clapton Girls Academy
Hornsey School for Girls / Bow school / Haggerston
The Next Generation Design workshop and construction is a fantastic opportunity for students:
- to develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- to consider new careers and choose A-levels to match
- to gain experiences for your personal statement
- to have a fun and creative weekend!
Workshops took place 11-12/02/17
20-21/05/17 – Preparation, Construction & Assembly
All the slides from the workshops can be downloaded from this link. If you’d like to run a similar workshop feel free to use them