Inspiring the next generation of designers, architects and engineers!
- Architecture and engineering workshop (2 days)
- Pavilion construction (2 days)
The 2-day workshop were a mix of short talks from professionals about architecture and engineering, and design workshops to allow the students to put what they’ve learnt into action. In small teams they designed a pavilion to meet a real brief for a structure in the heart of Nottingham, with a given set of materials; creating concept sketches and models, detailed drawings and explaining how they’d build it. At the end of the weekend the teams presented their designs to a panel of friendly architects and engineers from academia and industry.
The winning team members will see their design used as the basis for the real pavilion which you and all workshop participants are invited to help build in September 2018.
The workshops provide an opportunity for students to…
- develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- consider new careers and tailor their A-levels to match
- gain experience for their personal statement
- have a fun and creative weekend!
… as well as providing an opportunity for design professionals to…
- teach the fundamentals of their careers
- develop hands-on teaching, designing and construction skills
- meet other like-minded designers
- ensure our industries become more diverse and representative
Organisers: Stuart + Emily + Thilo + Wiktoria + Harriet + Matt
Lecturers: + Steve
The workshops were attended by GCSE students from the following local schools:
South Wolds Academy
Belper Sixth Form and Academy
Nottingham Girls Academy
The Nottingham Emmanuel School
14-15/07/18 – Workshop
September (TBC) – Preparation, Construction & Assembly
All the slides from the workshops can be downloaded from the Resources page. If you’d like to run a similar workshop feel free to use them, but please let us know about it!