Inspiring the next generation of designers, architects and engineers! (Image courtesy of Milo de Luca)
Inspiring the next generation of designers, architects and engineers!
- Architecture and engineering workshop (2 days over half term weekend)
- Pavilion construction (2 days)
The 2-day workshops were a mix of short talks from professionals about architecture and engineering, and design workshops to allow the students to put what they’ve learnt into action. In teams of 2-5 they designed a pavilion to be part of Clerkenwell Design Week in Central London. Utilising the skills they learnt during the weekend they produced conceptual sketches, plans, sections and a 3D physical model to explain their ideas. The culmination of the weekend saw the students present their ideas to a positive and constructive panel of judges!
The winning team members will see their design used as the basis for the real pavilion which you and all workshop participants are invited to help build in May 2018.
The workshops provide an opportunity for students to…
- develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- consider new careers and tailor their A-levels to match
- gain experience for their personal statement
- have a fun and creative weekend!
… as well as providing an opportunity for design professionals to…
- teach the fundamentals of their careers
- develop hands-on teaching, designing and construction skills
- meet other like-minded designers
- ensure our industries become more diverse and representative
Read more about the workshops and design development process in our print publication here!
The selected pavilion design was used as the basis for the pavilion built (and planted!) by a fantastically dedicated team of designers, tutors, volunteers and students to open for Clerkenwell Design Week 2018!
Tutors: + Paras + Andy Mc+ Iain + Megan + Luca + Luiz
Photography: Erica + Andy + James
The workshops were attended by year 9, 10 and 11 students from the following local schools:
Lister Community School / School 21
The Next Generation Design workshop and construction is a fantastic opportunity:
- to develop an understanding of what architects and engineers do
- to consider new careers and choose A-levels to match
- to gain experiences for your personal statement
- to have a fun and creative weekend!
10-11/02/18 – Workshop
19-20/05/18 – Preparation, Construction & Assembly
22-24/05/18 – Pavilion opening for Clerkenwell Design Week
24/05/18-08/18 – Open in St James Church Gardens
08/18 and onwards – Watch this space!
All the slides from the workshops can be downloaded from the Resources page. If you’d like to run a similar workshop feel free to use them, but let us know about it!